Monday, February 2, 2015

Welcome Back to the Blog

I've never really used this blog the way it should be used.  True, I've posted some Napowrimo poems, but just about nothing else.  Let this be the announcement that I'm going to post much more often.

Last night was the Super Bowl, and I started to think about why there were not many contemporary poems about big sporting events, or sports in general.  They do dominate our consciousness in many ways, since we spend so much time on it -- Fantasy Football, sports talk radio, etc.  Perhaps most poets aren't sports people, I'm not sure.  Perhaps its image doesn't work for writers.

I remember Jack Spicer had some references to sports, baseball in particular, in his work.  Dickey had a poem about football and his son called "The Bee," which I love.  http://www.poets.org/poetsorg/poem/bee

So, maybe I'll try to write some sports poems.  I have some already, but I think I could do more. Maybe others might want to share theirs?

No comments:

Post a Comment